As received by AAR:
STOP TALIBAN, STOP PAKISTAN, FREE AFGHANISTANOn the Occasion of the 4th. Anniversary of the Taliban Occupation of Kabul
PROTEST in Defense of: Inalienable Rights of Afghan Women, Men and Children -
and against US Apathy and Indifference Toward Afghan Human Tragedy and Crisis.
Date/Time: Monday, Sept. 25, 2000, 12:00 noon
Location: Across State Department, at C & 23 St. NW entrance
Subsequently, a delegation will deliver a protest letter to the Embassy of Pakistan
On this date in1996, the Taliban militia, mostly recruited and trained by
Pakistani extremist institutions, took over Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan.
Overnight, the situation for Afghanistan's citizens became worse than at any
other time since the Soviet invasion in 1979 plunged the nation into war.
Since then, the Taliban and their Pakistani mentors have:
* Imposed the world's HARSHEST, self-styled FANATIC regime
* Banished women from the workforce, universities and closed all girls' schools, restricting access to health care and even public baths.
* Ordered women to be veiled, men to grow beards and both genders to follow forced "edicts" or else face severe punishment
* Imposed food blockades on areas resisting Taliban rule, forcing thousands to flee or die
* Committed atrocities and human rights violations on those who dare to oppose their rule
* Intimidated the population by allowing public displays of AMPUTATION,
STONING WOMEN to DEATH, and EXECUTION on Fridays (Muslims' Holy day)
* Admitted thousands of Pakistani and other foreign fighters to fight other
Afghans, causing death, displacement of thousands of people, the burning of homes and agricultural lands
* Derived huge monetary profits by turning Afghanistan into the largest producer of opium in the world
* Provided a safe haven and training facilities for various terrorist groups
* Rejected all attempts at bringing peace and allowing Afghans the right to self-determination
The Taliban claim that their actions are based on ISLAM and Afghan cultural traditions, but this is NOT true. Prior to the militia's arrival, women comprised 70% of university professors and school teachers. At least 50% percent of students at Kabul University and civil servants were women, as were 40% percent of doctors. Islam requires that both MALE and FEMALE receive an education.
The Taliban have been able to impose their will over much of Afghanistan because of the support they receive from PAKISTAN, which continues to provide the militia with significant amounts of military aid and to send large numbers of its citizens in an attempt to OCCUPY Afghanistan. This assistance, combined with revenue from known terrorist organizations and the drug trade, has made the Taliban movement wealthy while the people of Afghanistan are plunged deeper into POVERTY and MISERY.
Please join us in denouncing this dark day, protest against Taliban tyranny and their Pakistani supporters, and demanding WHY the US administration is SILENT and seems INDIFFERENT toward the humanitarian tragedy unfolding in Afghanistan and threatening peace and security in the whole region! We will not be silent!
Contact: the STOP Taliban Protest Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-sponsors: FMF, WAPHA, MDHRA, AIC, CLA (France)
|Back to News Archirves of 2000|
Disclaimer: This news site is mostly a compilation of publicly accessible articles on the Web in the form of a link or saved news item. The news articles and commentaries/editorials are protected under international copyright laws. All credit goes to the original respective source(s).